WordPress is Not a Slam-Dunk! Pay Attention to Design and Planning and You Will Succeed!
Within the context of a WordPress CMS project, the business should give more importance to the design and planning phase of the project, than to the development phase.
Smooth execution of CMS project must include:
- Identification of appropriate themes, based on requirements
- Identification of design variation in the site, e.g., the home page, inner pages, profile page, etc.
- Identification of features and their availability through plug-ins, customization within available plug ins, custom plug-in development, etc.
- Design and review of each plugin and identification of design variations for different devices
- Considerations for rendering, loading, and usability.
It is important that these aspects of functionality be analyzed before using plug-ins or tools in the development phase. Once these steps are completed with satisfactory outcomes, the business can proceed to develop the website for content management.
This careful consideration and analytical process may take some extra time during the design and planning phase and it may add a bit of time to the overall project life cycle. However, the benefit and payback for this process is well worth the effort. Taking the time to address these concerns at the outset will provide numerous advantages, e.g., ease of site maintenance, and ease of WordPress and plug-in updates to ensure that the business is using the latest version with the latest features. This design and planning phase will also ensure that the business will achieve rapid ROI and user adoption and will save precious implementation and training time.