There are many appealing features in the WordPress framework and the WordPress developers recently released a 4.0 version that has enhanced some features and added others.
A 4.0.1 WordPress release addressed critical security issues and closes the gap through which anonymous users could compromise a site. We anxiously await the next generation of WordPress tools and the announcement of strategic market expansion.
There are many appealing features in the Content Management System (CMS) WordPress framework and the WordPress developers recently released a 4.0 version that has enhanced some features and added others.
Areas of focus include:
- Multi-lingual capability, with the ability to select a specific language for installation and content.
- Ease of access and browsing for plug-ins.
- Improvements to the TinyMCE gallery preview.
- Various improvements to set-up and bug reporting.
- Separation of Customizer Widgets to make it easier to find and use the widgets.
- Improvements and changes to formatting functions and options.
- A new grid view for the Media Library and an improved view for content editing and navigation between items
- Changes to the visual editor to allow developers to paste or insert a reference URL.
- Auto sizing within the editor function to resize the top and bottom bars.
A 4.0.1 WordPress release addressed critical security issues and closes the gap through which anonymous users could compromise a site.
The release includes fixes to resolve:
- Cross-site scripting issues that allowed access for a hacker or user to compromise a site.
- Request forgery that could trick users into changing a password, thus providing access to unscrupulous users.
- Inappropriate denial of service when passwords checks are triggered.
- Server-side forgery resulting from WordPress HTTP requests.
- Password reset issues resulting from email address changes.
- Weak validation of EXIF data extracted from photos.
- Other miscellaneous security issues not addressed by version 4.0.
As the WordPress framework increases in popularity, there will inevitably be more hackers and unscrupulous users trying to find holes and ways to gain access to the information and data on small business sites. That increase in attention requires that WordPress and all third-party expert WordPress developers maintain a healthy vigilance.
In addition to its frequent releases and upgrades, WordPress, its partners and related third-party developers have designed and developed numerous plug-ins to address and satisfy business and user needs and provide specialized features and functionality. As WordPress continues its expansion and upgrades, its user base is growing beyond the original blogger and small business base into eCommerce, media and other types of vertical and industry sites. We anxiously await the next generation of WordPress tools and the announcement of strategic market expansion.